Table of Contents
Introduction to WordPress Custom HTML Block
The WordPress Custom HTML Block is a feature within the WordPress block editor, commonly known as Gutenberg. This block allows users to add custom HTML code to their posts or pages. It’s particularly useful for those who need to insert code that isn’t supported by the standard blocks in WordPress.
Understanding the Purpose
The Custom HTML Block is designed for users who have some knowledge of HTML or for those who need to embed specific code snippets, such as third-party widgets or custom scripts. It offers more flexibility and control over content than the typical text blocks.
Accessing the Custom HTML Block
To access this block, follow these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to the post or page where you want to add HTML code.
- Click on the ‘+’ button to add a new block.
- Search for “Custom HTML” in the block search bar.
- Select the Custom HTML block to add it to your post or page.
Adding and Editing HTML Code
Once you’ve added the Custom HTML Block:
- You can start typing your HTML code directly into the block.
- If you already have the HTML code, you can paste it into the block.
- You can edit the HTML code as needed, directly within the block.
Previewing Your HTML
The Custom HTML Block has a built-in preview feature:
- Click the ‘Preview’ button on the block toolbar to see how your HTML code will appear on the front end.
- This feature is especially helpful for ensuring that your HTML renders as expected before you publish or update the post/page.
When using the Custom HTML Block:
- Ensure your HTML code is well-structured and error-free.
- Avoid adding too many custom HTML blocks as they might affect page load time and overall performance.
- Be cautious about adding third-party scripts, as they could pose security risks.
Limitations and Considerations
- The Custom HTML Block is not intended for extensive coding. For larger or more complex projects, consider using a child theme or a custom plugin.
- It’s important to note that certain HTML tags might be stripped out for security reasons, depending on your WordPress settings and user role.
The Custom HTML Block in WordPress is a versatile tool for users who require custom HTML in their posts or pages. While it offers a great deal of flexibility, it should be used judiciously and with an understanding of HTML. Remember to preview your work and ensure compatibility with your overall site design and functionality.