Own website presentation is today necessary and you should have a website for doing or starting your business. Creating websites is no „magical ability“. You can create your own website without any programming skills. Best way is to use some CMS (Content Management system). CMSs are often used to run websites containing blogs, news, and shopping. CMSs typically aim to avoid the need for hand programming.
Below you can see market shares for most popular CMSs.
As you see, WordPress is the most popular blogging system in use on the web, at more than 60 million websites (source: Wikipedia.org). There is a lot of another CMS systems, but I like WordPress for easy and intuitive interface and therefore I recommend it for beginners in web design.
Using WordPress could be created a nice website even without any knowledge of HTML or CSS. User with basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL can develop almost everything.
Web designer like WordPress for plugin architecture and a template system. There is lots of templates and plugins, which could be download from Internet. Many of them are free, but for better results are recommended paid templates.
The main advantages of WordPress are:
- free and open source (GPL license), regularly updates and innovations
- many plugins and templates, which allow to improve huge the functionally and look of websites
- easy to use (after short introduction)
- easy registration of different groups of users and editors
- support of multimedia files and services, e.g. Flickr, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
- connection with social services, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc …
- RSS outputs
- great documentation and many tutorials (books, videos, websites) and support from developer groups
As another system, WordPress has some disadvantages too. Main cons are:
- robust architecture, some of functions you will not be able to use of, sometimes very slow
- higher requirement for webhosting (better no free) with better support of PHP and MySQL
- primary used for blogs, but now with some improvements (plugins and templates) it could be used for almost any type of website
- difficult usage for large business system, ecommerce and so on
- using of different plugins can have harmful effect on your website or reduce speed
Despite of some disadvantages I find WordPress as the best solution for small and medium sized websites and good system for beginners in web design.